Tuesday, February 10, 2015

2/10



As I am sitting outside of my class room waiting for the room to be opened, a group of student is standing in the hall talking. I realize I am older than all of them, probably by a decade at least, and I find myself getting ever so annoyed. Now I have always been more mature for my age, some say I have an old soul, but listening to these young adults I couldn’t help but wonder-was I that immature and annoying at that age? I would like to think not. The disrespect and manner in which they were speaking to each other was unbelievable yet they all seemed to think it was funny. My annoyance became even stronger when the loudest, most attention seeking one of the group proceeded to “joke” about how he would shove the blind man who just walked past him out of his way if he had bumped into him. Mind you this is a hallway full of students and the man is BLIND. Seriously? Whether he was serious or not how could they all think this was funny?
I would like to think that I would not have accepted such behavior from my friends and I have no problem calling out my friends for such things, however, I am not naïve to think that no such behavior occurred from my friends. I just wonder sometimes where it is that people come from that results in them acting a certain way. I also understand that I they are young and at some point we are all young and dumb to some degree but as a society is the threshold being lowered? By this I mean are the standards to which we hold our youth so diminished? It makes me scared sometimes to see the way todays youth act and behave and how will my daughter be when she gets older. Clearly there are times when you have to question parenting skills but when as a society did we stop respecting our elders, stop being chivalrous, and stop having common decency? And why have we accepted this as being okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment