Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Desserts 2/25



Desserts
Random subject but we were talking about desserts today at work so I guess it’s on my brain. Desserts are such a wonderful thing, if you like sweets if not I suppose it’s a moot point. There are all kinds of desserts: cookies, cakes, pies, bars, ice cream, candy, etc. I happen to have a sweet tooth, thanks to my beloved grandpa Allen. I remember growing up he always had ice cream in the freezer. One of my mom’s favorite memories about my grandpa is sharing peppermint stick ice cream, but it has to be the pink ice cream not the white. Anyway I don’t know that I have a particular favorite type of dessert but I definitely have my favorite kinds of the various types.
Not that anyone cares but here are some of my favorite kinds of various types of desserts:
Cookies: nothing better than a warm chocolate chip cookie with a glass of cold milk
Pie: Has to be apple or pumpkin. I much prefer homemade pumpkin the crusts are never as good in store bought. I also tend to eat my pumpkin pie with a side of cool whip which my husband makes fun of me for.
Ice cream: I like a good drumstick. Narrowing down a favorite ice cream flavor is hard, thanks in large part to my grandpa. Rocky road, peanut butter cup, and a snickers type of flavor are probably my top 3 favorites. I do remember as kid when I would be out with my mom and every now and then we would get a treat I would get a small scoop of mint chocolate chip and orange sherbet on a waffle cone, not one of the big waffle cones but one that is more life the drumstick kind.
Although I do have to say one of my favorite kinds of desserts is cheesecake. I love that you can make it with so many different kinds of ingredients like fruit or candy or other flavors. I don’t know where this recipe came from but my family makes some of the best, ok they best, no bake cheesecake. It is unlike any other that I have tried and so much better. Its consistency is rich and creamy and so good I can’t explain it.
This has me thinking now about the thousands, yes literally thousands, of recipes that I have not only desserts but everything from sauces to snacks to appetizers to sides and main dishes. I have one dedicated just to desserts and breakfast. My big 5” binder is full of all of the other recipes which I have categorized. I went through a brief obsessive phase with recipes and in a way almost started collecting them. I suppose I really should start making some of them so I can get rid of ones that I don’t like. Maybe someday I will have made them all at some point or another. It’s hard because we tend to end up eating the same things because they are good and we like them. Not only that but time is a big factor right now. I don’t have a lot of it and there is the small fact that we are living with my in-laws so I try to keep things simple so I don’t disturb their kitchen. I should make it goal to start making one or two new recipes a month and go from there. So many options, guess I better start browsing for the first one to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment